Frank Lloyd Wright in Minnesota
Summary: Listings and information about Frank Lloyd Wright's Minnesota architecture.
All-Wright Site Links: [Building Guide - top of page] [Building Guide - Map] [All-Wright Site Main Page] [E-mail]
Building Guide listings for nearby locations: East: Wisconsin, South: Iowa,

The links on this page were last updated and verified March 2002.

Around 10 buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright were built in Minnesota. You can access images and information for some of these buildings on this web page.

Search for books on
Frank Lloyd Wright,
Minnesota, Lake Wobegon, and also for
books on any other topic
(and music and more)

This web page is part of the All-Wright Site - Frank Lloyd Wright Building Guide, which contains geographically organized listings of Wright's works in many states. Please see this page for more information on how the Building Guide is organized.

Individual Building Listings:

Francis W. Little House "Northhome" (S.173), Deephaven, Minnesota, 1912. Demolished and partially saved.
This large Prairie house used to be on Lake Minnetonka near Minneapolis. The library is now part of the collection at the Allentown Art Museum in Pennsylvania, and the 55-foot living room is part of the collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

A. H. Bulbulian House (S.292), Rochester, Minnesota, 1947.
Rochester, a town in southwestern Minnesota, home of the
Mayo Clinic, is home to three of Mr. Wright's extant Minnesota designs. This particular one-story house is built with one 120-degree angle, and is constructed of cement brick and cypress.

Malcolm F. Willey House (S.229), Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1934.

David Lovness House (S.391), Stillwater, Minnesota, 1956.

Henry J. Neils house (S.314), in Minneapolis.
(Further information on this home is pending)

Thomas E. Keys House (S.321), Rochester, Minnesota, 1950.
This earth-bermed house is based on a 1938 design for Detroit auto workers. The Gunnar Berkirts design for "Dominos Farms" in Ann Arbor, Michigan bears some resemblance to this house, but on a Cyclopean scale.

S. P. Elam House (S.336), Austin, Minnesota, 1950.
This two-story stone and cypress building features a design based on triangles and rectangles. Austin, Minnesota, is known for the George a. Hormel company.

R. W. Lindholm House, "Mantyla" (S.353), Cloquet, Minnesota, 1952.
The clients also had the
gas station in Cloquet built (Cloquet rhymes with Parkay, and the a's in "Mantyla" have double-dots over them).

James B. McBean House (S.413), Rochester, Minnesota, 1957.
This Usonian house is the second built on the Marshall Erdman Company's prefabricated plans.

Paul Olfelt house (S.427), St. Louis Park, Minnesota, 1958.
This house was completed by Taliesin Architects after Mr. Wright's death. It is a small house built into a hillside.

Lindholm Service Station (S.414), Cloquet (near Duluth), Minnesota, 1956
This working Phillips 66 gas station is currently open to the public.

Fasbender Clinic (S.424), Hastings, Minnesota, 1957
This has always been a commercial/professional building open to the public as such buildings usually are. The draping of the terne metal roof resembles an overturned boat hull. This design came just before another (but different in appearance) medical clinic in Montana.

Other sites, books, links of interest (not necessarily Frank Lloyd Wright related):

  • Web Site: John Howe in Minnesota: The Prairie School Legacy of Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Book: Hunts' Getaways on the Upper Mississippi Between Chicago and the Twin Cities : Surprising Worlds Close to Home. Includes detailed chapter on Winona, Minnesota (including its Prairie architecture). Find out more about the book and order it from by clicking on the title.
  • Book: Discover! America's Great River Road : Upper Mississippi : Your Guide to the Heritage, Natural History Vol 1. Click on the title to order from
  • Visit Winona - Stained glass tour. This Mississippi river city does not have Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, but does have examples of Prairie school art glass and other stained glass.

    Frank Lloyd Wright® and Taliesin® are registered trademarks of the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation.

    Click here to return to the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Guide.

    This site is hosted by Yahoo! Geocities